About This Blog

Some of the miscellaneous categories you might find dealt with here will include:
~ health
~ writing
~ blogging
~ environment
~ science
~ education
~ desert
~ walk
~ photos


Saturday, August 25, 2012

"Throw it to the Dogs"

Not exactly.

Wendell O. Belfield, D.V.M., author of How to Have a Healthy Dog, tells us to feed our dogs table scraps, including meat, vegetables, grains, and even salad. Great!

Avoid giving your dog sugar any sweets, he says. Chocolate may kill  a dog. It can lead to urinary incontinence, seizures, and death.

For variety, he suggests, mix scraps with a little commercial dog food from time to time. Be sure it contains no additive accept vitamins and minerals. Dr. Belfield says to always supplement your dog's food with minerals and multivitamins, especially C and D.

I really like the idea of feeding my dogs left-overs. However, upon checking my scraps for a week I find 3/4 cup of coffee grounds, 5 peach pits, a handful of very well boiled bones, and half a cup of yam skins. In cooking for myself, I have learned to eliminate a lot of waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment